Sir James Mitchell Park
Sir James Mitchell Park is a park along the southern foreshore of Perth Water in Perth, Western Australia. It lies within the suburb of South Perth from Mends Street Jetty, to just south of Heirisson Island.
It was formerly a riverside area with a number of issues regarding management. In the 1950s market gardens were closed in the area.
Since the 1970s considerable effort has been made to improve amenity, access and environmental issues.
The South Perth City Council considers the park, or parts of it to be suitable for hire, and it has hosted numerous events since its improvements and landscaping.
As of December 2015 it is a very regularly used location for cyclists, runners and dog walkers around the river, with links to a circuit that continues around the whole of Perth Water, utilising pedestrian facilities on the Narrows Bridge and the The Causeway.
South Perth Foreshore, Mill Point Rd and Coode Street South Perth WA
The Old Mill - entrance is free except for a token donation
Point Belches is a small point on the south side of Swan River, Western Australia, about 250 metres east of The Narrows within the area known as Perth Water. The land is part of the South Perth Esplanade, and the water off the point is used as a commercial water skiing area.
Point Belches was discovered by Captain (later Admiral Sir) James Stirling during the Swan River expedition of 1827. He named it in honour of Peter Belches, a member of the exploring party who was Third Lieutenant on Stirling's ship, HMS Success. Stirling almost certainly intended the name to refer to the entire peninsula, but it now refers to a smaller feature on the eastern side of the peninsula. The peninsula itself is now commonly referred to as Mill Point, although strictly speaking this name also refers to a smaller feature, on the western side.
in 2015 they have returned in good stocks, whilst some can been seen along the South Perth foreshore the majority seek refuge along the Como Beach side adjacent to "Point Belches". Check the photo album by map location to see the location points.
In 1834 a ferry service was established across the narrow neck from Point Belches to the foot of Mt Eliza. The route for land travel at that time was via Guildford, a considerable greater distance of 29 Kilometres. In 1849 an article in ‘The Inquirer’, a Perth Newspaper, commentated on the desirability of constructing a bridge at the Narrows and similar sentiments are recorded up to the turn of the century. The Narrows crossing would provide a line of communication between Perth and Fremantle in lieu of the protracted route via the causeway bridge, the first of which had been built in 1843.
more in SM (Social Media) channels below
Starting point: view across Park to river and city in background
Move around in any direction, external link https://goo.gl/maps/BESZu9rvSR62
Street view map tips summary
HOW TO access "Street view and 360 Photo Spheres": from google map drag street view Icon to Position help video
Map tips in detail this link
Insert below> In Production > in the meantime .. our Banner fullscreen
Best viewed in smartphone / tablet
Controls: Smartphone: turn device in any angle or swipe / pinch screen with finger
(Desktop) Resolution: bottom right | Zoom: double click | Full page: top right | rotate: mouse
Popular links this venue
show the love... like, share and stuff
do more ..
Copy the media hub link / hashtags (above) and paste to your
post (Hashtags group posts into a stream ... cool!)
Donate Photos, videos to this media hub page
Become a roaming reporter -